Tuesday, September 8, 2009

My New Best Friends

Now, I've only been here at school for a total of 20 days, and I already have a few new best friends. They are always there for me no matter what kind of day I have. I can tell one of them my emotions and what i'm feeling and it will listen. It might tell the whole school my feelings, but it still listens. The other isn't too good at keeping secrets either, but I can still share funny times, serious times, or even a lesson I learned from school with them. Within the past 20 days of school I have been around them almost any chance I get, as sad as that is. 
My New friends go by the name of Mr. Face Book and Mr. You Tube.
Like I said, if I tell them something, they aren't very good at keeping things secret from others. I tell Facebook something and he goes and tells all of my friends nationally...I have to be careful what I tell him. Other than that we have a great relationship.

As a college kid, this first semester I have a lot of down time, and am always looking for things to do. There are only so many times that I can go to the Atrium to get lunch, or walk around campus counting how many people make eye contact with you while you're walking to class. So like many other college kids, I turn to Facebook and YouTube for my down time entertainment.
To some, being on Facebook is like smoking. Once you start using it and get a good feel for it, its hard to break away from it and to stop using it. Not going to mention any names, but there are those people who are on there 24/7 and as soon as you post a new status they are always the first to comment on it, or they are always the one changing their status. REALLY?! Your life is that boring that you feel a need to tell the world how boring your life is, or how much it sucks? Here's my advice to you, GET OFF FACEBOOK AND STOP CREEPING ON PEOPLE AND GET OUT AND DO SOMETHING. Plant a tree, play with your kids if you have some, do homework, exercise, knit if you have to (last resort actually), walk your dog, if you dont have a dog walk yourself. Its not that hard! Just find something that makes you happy so you dont turn into one of "those" people on facebook. Not the best reputation to have. 
But as a student I turn to it to communicate with friends and family to catch up with everyone so I know how everyone is doing. I'm even friends with some teachers, old, and current, and man oh man is that a weird feeling. Knowing that whatever pictures or videos you get tagged in they can see. Try explaining those pictures from the party this past weekend to your teacher on monday. Yikes! Now I can honestly say that I have never had to worry about that but if I am ever caught in one of those awkward conversations I will just take it like a champ and hell, I may even invite them next time me and my friends go out!
On a scale from 1-10, 10 being the absolute bomb-diggity friend, facebook would prolly be a 6. Youtube on the other hand would have to be a 4. We aren't as close as facebook, but I still turn to it when I'm in the mood for a good laugh or want to listen to some free music. Granted I have to change the song every time a song finishes up, but it's a good place to go to and listen to whatever I'm in the mood for. When I'm on facebook I am also on YouTube surfing all sorts of movies. Now THAT is talent! Not only is it great for music, but all of those FML moments, and funny moments that you just HAVE to see. 
One of my new favorite videos is called "Top 60 Ghetto Black Names". I could watch this a thousand times and it would never get old. Here it is for you: 

I've learned over the past 20 days here at school that I need to get a break out of my shell and get involved in clubs and school organizations. My first few steps to achieving this goal: getting lunch, checking my facebook again, and then getting out and doing something.
GET'R DONE!

No comments:

Post a Comment