Thursday, September 3, 2009

The Rotten Apple

There are always those families that have that "Family Luck". If there's something that can go wrong in a situation, it happens to them. If you are not in that group of families consider yourself lucky. The DeFreeuw's on the other hand, NOT SO LUCKY! The DeFreeuw luck never seems to surprise me either. If you are ever asked to go on a vacation with us, DONT DO IT! Knowing our luck we would go to a place like Florida who's been having a drought the whole summer, and the one week we go, it would rain every single day... I kid you not.
As you may know though, I'm a freshman at Ball State, if you dont know where that is look at my first blog, you'll get directions. Anyways, I am a freshman this year and if there is one thing that I think every freshman college student should have its a laptop computer. Whether you get a Dell, Windows, Compaq, HP, Mac, whatever it may be, I feel each student should have one. How else are we supposed to communicate with the outside world other than our cell phones? What else would we do during a boring class if we didn't have a laptop to check Facebook on?
So following my own advice, and going off what I know about computers, I decided to get the new Macbook Pro because I know that they are supposed to last a long time, little to no problems with them, if there is a problem Apple is more than happy to help you get it fixed.
Now imagine this, its exactly a week until I moved into the Stu West dorm on campus, and I still haven't ordered my computer. So my parents started flipping out on me telling me I needed to get my ass in shape and get a computer. So I go online to Apple.com and choose out the Macbook Pro 13" computer that I wanted. I ordered it that night, and headed off to Texas to visit my sister for a final end of the summer trip the next day. When I got back home on Monday night, my computer was waiting for me on the kitchen table. As soon as I got home I picked it up, opened the box and saw my new computer for the first time. Because I was still new to the whole computer setup aspect, I took it over to my buddy Brent's house so he could help me. Within the first hour of using the computer it froze. I didn't really think too much of it, I thought maybe since I just uploaded everything and all the new updates it was just tweeking out, whatever. So I get it home and am using it the next day still setting things up and trying to get used to the whole layout of the computer, and it starts freezing again unexpectedly. Now I'm not completely stupid when it comes to Macs, but I know when a computer isn't acting the way it should be, and this is one of those times. This is where the "DeFreeuw luck" comes into play. Out of all the Mac computers that run perfectly no matter what you do to them, I got the one computer that has something wrong with it, and that wont work properly...GO FIGURE! Out of all the Apple computers I got the "rotten" one that wont work.
I figure, I have two options: 1) I could send it back to Apple that Tuesday before school starts, have them look at it/fix it, and go to school the first few days without a computer at and hope that I wont need it for my classes. or 2) I could try out the computer for the first week or so and hope that it just fixes the problem itself, and if it doesn't then send it to Apple.
Being my stubborn self, I chose the second option. Not the brightest decision I've made. A week and a half after school started I took the computer to the Apple store down in Indy and they said they would send it back, have them "fix it" and then send it back to me.
I said: "Ok, about how long do you think it will take for them to do that and send it back?"
Their response: "It takes average 5 days to get it sent to them, fixed, and sent back."
I'm thinking awesome....FML!
Needless to say this whole week I've been deprived of my computer and have had to use the BSU computer labs to get my homework done and emails checked. If you are ever having problems with your computer, get them checked out immediately. Don't wait to see if the computer will fix itself. They may be smart, but they're not THAT smart!
Better sooner, then when it's too late.

No comments:

Post a Comment